Project Description

EMS stands for Electrical muscle stimulation. It is also known as neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) or electromyostimulation, is the elicitation of muscle contraction using electric impulses. The impulses mimic the action potential coming from the central nervous system, causing the muscles to contract.

Because of the characteristics of skeletal muscle fibers, different types of fibers can be activated to differing degrees by different types of EMS. These patterns, referred to as protocols or programs, will cause a different response from contraction of different fiber types. Some programs will improve fatigue resistance (endurance), while others will increase strength.

One reason for strength and endurance building is, when you maximally contract a muscle, only a 30% of all your muscle fibers are in a state of contraction and the remaining 70% are dormant and awaiting recruitment when the contracting fibers fatigue. With Electrical Muscle Stimulation you can potentially electrically stimulate these resting muscle fibers to improve their strength and endurance. Clinically, muscle stimulator appears to be more effective when the muscles are very weak and you have difficulty performing any normal anti-gravity exercises.

Another reason that Electrical Muscle Stimulation potentially works in the speed of motor unit activation. The simple explanation is, it takes approximately 10000 repetitions for your brain to learn how to quickly send a message to your muscles via the quickest nerve pathways. This contraction pattern of your muscle is recruited the quickest way to that muscle. Muscle stimulator can potentially provide you with repeated contractions to accelerate this learning process.

In medicine, EMS is used for rehabilitation purposes, for instance in physical therapy in the prevention of disuse muscle atrophy which can occur for example after musculoskeletal injuries, such as damage to bones, joints, muscles, ligaments and tendons. In many cases, EMS used together with TENS will generate better pain relief and recovery. For example, when supporting muscles of a joint is weakening, it will be easily get sprain and cause pain. If we first using the muscle relax program to release the stress, and then using TENS to relieve pain, and finally using muscle strengthening program to rebuild the supporting muscle, the recovery will be much faster and long last.

RelieforMe, the most intelligent, personalized and fully portable wireless TENS and EMS system on the market, will work intelligently to recommend and bring a set of the right programs, via our artificial intelligent algorithm based on science and the learning of the big usage data, to best manage your particular pains or healthcare purpose and eliminate the difficulty to figure out all the complicated parameters and settings and to find the right ones to use.